Monday 4 March 2013

$25,000 per year for this gym!

I don't know about all of you readers, but when I go to the gym it's to sweat, to take my body to complete exhaustion, to see badass bodybuilding posters, to use chalk, to hear loud music, to get motivation and inspiration from the big dudes at the gym, to push heavy weight around. I want to be in an atmosphere that it's okay to grunt once in a while, and it's okay to be aggressive, in fact the more aggressive you are, the better. These little factors are so significant to me that you cannot put a price on them. I don't care if my gym has a $5,000 revolutionary bicep machine, sure it's cool but I probably wouldn't use it much. But if my gym was missing a squat rack I'd sure as hell guarantee you I wouldn't set foot in there again.

This brings me to the topic of the most expensive gym membership in the world. It is called "The Madison Square Club" in New York City. It looks like an overpriced living room with a few machines. Does it look nice? sure it looks like a nice place, if I was going to take a nap and have a fancy dinner at! Would this be my first choice of where to train? I can guarantee you I would look for any other gym but this one. The owner says this on their website:

"I wanted to build a beautiful boutique gathering place where people could be healthy, but I didn't want it to look, smell or feel like a gym"

Now I can understand that some people are not into bodybuilding like myself, or powerlifting. But at a price tag of $25,000 a year for a membership here plus $125 in monthly dues, this place better be injecting me with all types of hormones, better be feeding me expensive foods, and better have a money back guarantee in case I'm not satisfied. The smell and feel at the gym is what makes you know that it's okay to get sweaty, sweat is a sign of hard work, if it looks like a gym it should look rough, hardcore, weights are not meant to be treated like glass, Iron is made to be heavy and withstand being dropped.

Everyone should look for a gym that they feel comfortable at, but this is just a waste of money. I'm done my rant. 

If you guys want me to write about a specific topic, experience or a specific supplement on this blog please let me know, your input and feedback is appreciated, comments can be made anonymous!

1 comment:

  1. I can't afford a gym membership right now, so I would love to hear about home type workouts/suggestions

    ReplyDelete